|Position||Manger, Forest Patrol Limited|
|Company||J.D Irving, Limited|
|Published||Sep 26, 2023|
|Closing||Dec 22, 2023|
Career Opportunity: Manager, Forest Patrol Limited
At J.D. Irving, Limited (JDI) Woodlands, our role as stewards of the land is one of the most important that we play. Our business begins with managing and protecting the forest. We are dedicated to sustainable forest management, research, conservation, and protecting our forests from fire and insect outbreaks. Focused on rigorous land management and responsible stewardship, JDI Woodlands is guided by a 100-year management plan that preserves the environmental and ecological integrity of our land, air, water, and wildlife. We are committed to applying disciplined science, advanced technology and best practices while ensuring accountability through independent audits and environmental certification.
Forest Patrol Limited, a subsidiary of JDI Woodlands, is responsible for aerial applications, aerial fire suppression, and forest management planning flights. We operate four Air Tractor 802s, a Quest Kodiak, and two Bell 407 helicopters. Our pilots and ground support staff work seasonally at our airbase and camp in Juniper, New Brunswick.
Forest Patrol Ltd. is seeking a Manager who wants to join a family-owned business and lead a team of dedicated pilots and ground operations staff. The ideal candidate will be seeking a long-term, full-time managerial role. The Manager reports to the JDI Woodlands Chief Forester.
- General management of Forest Patrol’s operations, 15 direct reports and assets, including: supervision, performance management, administration, budgeting and forecasting, daily operations, and leadership at the Juniper Airbase during the operational season, from May – October
- Coordinate with the Chief Pilot and Chief Aircraft Maintenance Engineer for aerial programming, pilot succession planning, pilot training, maintenance scheduling, and regulatory compliance
- Ownership of the safety and environmental management programs
- Divisional forest fire planning, training, aerial response and efficiency, equipment strategy and inventory management
- Head Office Liaison role for seasonal forest fire management
- Develop proficiency in role of Aerial Supervisor, to work with the Birddog pilot to lead forest fire response and aerial application programs, and participate in emergency response and aerial programs
- Coordinate with Forest Protection Limited and the Province on large scale insect and fire protection and mitigation strategies, including research, planning, training, and operational efficiencies
- Develop and lead JDI’s Integrated Vegetation Management (IVM), including: working with consultants, suppliers, industry experts, and regulatory bodies to build a cost effective aerial and ground herbicide spray strategy; continual improvement of BMPs; coordination of aerial programming with JDI Woodlands Regional Foresters; and aerial applicator contractor management
- Manage all herbicide and insecticide inventory for divisional programming
- Manage and administer pesticide application permits, training, and compliance
- Budget, program, and training planning, annual reporting, and administration from November – March at a JDI Woodlands office (Saint John or Fredericton)
- Process improvement initiatives
Experience and Qualifications:
- A minimum of 5 years of leadership and management experience,
- Preference will be given to an individual with professional aviation experience including aerial application (insecticide and herbicide), aerial fire suppression, and/or airbase management.
- Post-secondary education in aviation and/or forestry
- Willingness to live at the Juniper Airbase and camp as required during the operational months of May – October
- Valid Canadian Passport and the ability to travel across international borders for training and conferences as required
- Valid Canadian Driver’s license with clean abstract
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to manage demanding workloads in fast-paced operational environment
What We Offer:
- Work in a safety conscious environment
- Flexible Benefits Package to meet the needs of you and your family, including Health & Dental, Life Insurance, Short & Long-term disability, RRSP Contributions
- Annual wellness reimbursement
- Work with the best equipment and latest technology in the industry
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
- Please apply online
- We appreciate your interest in our company! Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- To learn more about our products and services, click here.
J.D. Irving, Limited, Woodlands Division is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.